The University of Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education held a ceremony on 20 December 2016, to mark the official opening of its new entrance gates.
The 4.1m-high iron gates have been restored and extended over recent months to allow fire engines and other high-sided vehicles to pass through safely. They were originally installed by Colonel Harding, then owner of Madingley Hall, in 1909.
The ceremony was conducted by the University’s Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education, Professor Graham Virgo. It was followed by a tree-planting ceremony to mark the tercentenary year of ‘Capability’ Brown – the famous landscape architect who designed much of the landscape around Madingley Hall.
The tree, a Field Maple, was planted near the new entrance gates, in the centre of Madingley where the University and the village come together.